HCBA Bee School Working Group Meeting
January 22nd, 6:30 pm at Impellizzeri’s in Elizabethtown
Attendees: David Shockey, Madison Henry, Terry Hendry, Rick Lemarr, Ritchie Jenkins, Burt Thompson, Joe Chang and Mike Mabry (KSBA)
Agenda (with meeting Notes):
- New Bylaws for review – Updated bylaws will be posted to the web and sent to each member for review and comment. Intent is to vote at the next meeting. These include the state and IRS requirements for non-profit status.
- Class schedule – confirmation of who and classes. Schedule is good. David and Burt will finalize. David and Burt will get with presenters for class confirmation and to ask for a synopsis sheet for the hand outs
Leonard Davis can give a class, 2 classes if needed – will probably use him for 2 classes, will finalize this week
Tammy Potter – confirmed, needs to be early in the day to take the keynote speaker back to the airport, confirmed and will accommodate
Dorothey Morgan – unconfirmed, Mike will confirm this weekend
Chris Renfrow – CONFIRMED, David will discuss class presentation this week.
Leslie Cobb – CONFIRMED, on 28 JAN
Joe Taylor – CONFIRMED
Troy Winters – Burt will confirm next week
Schedule: schedule is good
- KSU Autoclave at the bee school UNCONFIRMED, Joe will confirm this weekend; Burt and Joe need to coordinate with ECTC for location.
- Volunteer plan – how many and where? Joe will have handouts for the next three HCBA meetings and ask Madison to include in HCBA meeting notes
Need volunteers to assist that day with
- Sign-in/Registration – David’s wife will work the table all day
- HCBA Product & Membership Table – Burt’s wife will work the table all day
- Clean-up – Duane will run the clean-up crew
- Lunch to handout or layout the food.
- Vendors/sponsors and layout – Terry Henry will ask the vendors with exceptions below; Burt needs to get a layout from the school.
- Kelley Bees
- Honey Bear Farms
- Shannon Trimboli – not available
- Pete Zook, Cypress Bee Supplies – David will ask
- KY Queen Breeders Association – – Mike will ask
- KSBA – complete
- Hardin County Gardening Club – deleted
- Earl-E- Bee Beekeeping Supplies, from Southern Indiana https://earlebee.com – Is planning on attending
- HCBA member display, Burt will coordinate with Madison and David to ask for member items
- Table for Troy Winters and his education displays
- Donations for door prizes – how many do we need? Need to solicit a few from each vendor and maybe provide a few of our own. KSBA may want to offer a few? – Terry Henry will ask the vendors as their “booth use” fee
Honey Bear Farms (Joel Gonia) donated last year gift certificates, (502) 212-6228
- Layout for vendors, registration and HCBA tables – still need scale drawing and another walk through, Burt needs to get a layout from the school.
- Bee School Handout or Packet – Burt and David developing
- KY Proud grant application – no longer an option
- Hats/shirts/other marketing items – Burt is working with Ritchie for a grey shirt , black HCBA log “Support your local Beekeeper” and hats. Shirt for $10; hats for $15.
- Marketing/Advertising/social media Plan – Flyer complete
Ritchie ready to start Facebook – needs check for $106.00
Local Media – who and when – Madison will work local outlets. David and Mike will ask Joel Gonia if he would do another commercial; Ritchie read\y for Facebook/social media – needs $104 for FB and $104 for Google; flyers now out.
- Food Plan – Terry is working, probably Subway; least work for us. KSBA will provide coffee, water, sodas and snacks for the breakfast; HCBA must provide any other refreshments (later in the day and lunch)
- Local hotel with a meeting area that will support 25-30 people and ask the hotel to block 10 rooms for KSBA board members and others. COMPLETE – COMFORT INN has set aside 6 rooms for $94 each with a 20 person meeting room – Mike needs address
- Banners and items from last year? David, and Ritchie have the items
- Entry costs – will be $25, no discount offered except for those who volunteer and KSBA Board members
Hardin County Beekeepers Association Beekeeping School
Kentucky State Beekeepers Association Spring Meeting
- Date: March 28, 2019
- Location: Elizabethtown Community and Technical College, 600 College Street Road, Elizabethtown, KY 42701
- Cost: – $25.00 for all attendees
- KSBA is asked to:
* Cover costs for ECTC facility rental – $600
* Provide refreshments during the day
* Cover all costs for keynote speaker and confirm his attendance
* Cover cost for liability insurance for KSBA meeting/bee school attendees
* Extend invitations to Leonard Davis, and Dorothy Morgan.
* Assist with confirmation of attendance/presentation by Leslie Cobb.
- HCBA will – work with a local hotel with a meeting area that will support 25-30 people and ask the hotel to block 10 rooms for KSBA board members and others. – 6 ROOMS RESERVED AT COMFORT INN WITH MEETING AREA
- HCBA already invited to teach/present/display:
Leslie Cobb, KY Dept of Health, Food Safety Division
Sarah Preston, KSBA Certified Honey Program
Chris Renfro, Commercial Beekeeper
Troy Winters – winner of awards at KY State Fair – Honey, wax and displays
- 7:00 – 8:00 – Registration in entry hall
- 8:00 – 8:10 – Welcome and opening remarks by David Shockey, President HCBA
- 8:10 – 9:00 – KSBA intro and keynote speaker presentation, Jay Evans – Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture.
- 9:00 – 9:10 – Break
- 9:10 – 10:10 – Session 1
- 10:10 – 10:20 – Break
- 10:20 – 11:20 – Session 2
- 11:20 – 11:30 – Break
- 11:30 – 12:30 – Session 3
- 12:30 – 1:15 – Lunch – catered by HCBA
- 1:20 – 2:20 – Session 4
- 2:15 – 2:30 – Break
- 2:30 – 3:30 – Session 5
- 3:30 – 3:50- wrap up and Q&A (everyone will already be in their respective classrooms—– Session Leaders will be the last speaker for each group plus other speakers and HCBA members.)
- 3:50 – 4:00 – BREAK
- 4:00 – 5:00- Drawings/door prizes, KSBA & the Certified Honey Program
Bee school will focus on 2 tracks: Beginner and Practicing. Each track will meet in a dedicated classroom. Opening remarks, keynote speaker, drawings, and KSBA Certified Honey Program will meet in the auditorium.
- Economics of Beekeeping & Beekeeping equipment and costs — David Shockey
- Bee biology and their caste system — Leonard Davis
- Best Management Practices and Pest Management — Tammy Potter
- First Year Beekeeping Calendar what to expect. — David Shockey
- Advantages of Mentoring & joining local association – how we can help — HCBA instructor
Additional classes if required:
Do’s and Don’ts of Beekeeping – it’s the little things — HCBA instructor
- Labeling Honey in KY — Leslie Cobb
- Best Management Practices and Treating Bees — Tammy Potter
- Frame management — David Shockey
- Advantages of making Nucs and Spits — Chris Renfrow
- Queens — Dorothey Morgan ????
Additional classes if required:
Swarm trapping — Joe Taylor
How to make $ in beekeeping — Chris Renfrow